Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

2+2 Tips


Consortiums: Students taking classes at two different schools need to file a consortium agreement when enrolled less than full-time (less than half time if only receiving federal loans) at the home institution.  The “home” institution is the school from which you expect to receive your degree.  The purpose of the consortium is to ensure that enrollment at the home school is sufficient to meet financial aid enrollment requirements.  You must be enrolled at UNI and the host school at the same time.  Normally, the majority or equal number of hours need to be at UNI.  Exceptions are made for students enrolled in a UNI 2+2 program. 

File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) The school granting your degree is the school which will handle your financial aid.  The FAFSA needs to be completed each year and is available in January for the following Fall and/or Spring.

  • Fall and Spring semesters are considered the “Academic Year”. 

  • Summer is awarded separately and follows the academic year.  A summer award is created after a student is officially enrolled on “Student Center”.

 Enrollment Requirements 

  • A minimum of half-time enrollment is required to receive federal financial aid.  For undergraduate students half-time is six (6) hours for fall or spring and five (5) hours for summer. 

  • Many Private Educational Loans are available with less than half-time enrollment. 

  • Verify on Student Center that registration is complete.  Funds are disbursed only when officially enrolled.

 Types of Financial Aid

  • Grants:“Free” money; based on financial need; payment prorated with less than full-time enrollment; some grants require a minimum of half-time enrollment.

  • Scholarships: Awards are based on talent, academic achievement or other criteria; normally require full-time enrollment. 

  • Federal Loans:  Need to be repaid and require at least half-time enrollment.  If enrolling only half-time each semester, budget your Federal Direct Loans instead of taking out the maximum offered.  The aggregate cumulative limit for undergraduate dependent students is $31,000; independent students, $57,500.

    • If borrowing a Direct Loan (Student Subsidized or Unsubsidized) for the first time, complete a Master Promissory Note and Loan Entrance Interview Counseling at

    • : “Free” money; prorated with less than full-time enrollment; requires a teaching obligation after graduation.TEACH Grants

    • Private Educational Loans: 

      • Requires in-person counseling with UNI staff; can be done by phone.

      • Usually involves a credit check or co-signer.

      • Can take 4-6 weeks to complete the process and receive funds at UNI.

Financial Aid Credits to the UNI Bill

  • Financial aid (loans, scholarships, and/or grants) will credit to your UNI account on the first billing cycle of the term.  The earliest that aid credits is the week prior to the first day of classes for the semester or term.   

  • View your UNI bill at MyUNIverse > My Page tab > My Student Center > Finances. 

  • “Grant Permission” for financial aid to apply to miscellaneous charges in addition to tuition. 

    • Navigation for this process: MyUNIverse > My Page tab > My Student Center > Account Inquiry > Account Services > Student Permission > Grant Permissions > FEDSTATE > Next, yes I have read the agreement, Submit.      

    • If you neglect to complete this permission you could receive a refund check and still owe money to UNI. 

    • Sign up for Direct Deposit of refunds at MyUNIverse > My Page tab > Direct Deposit Sign-Up pagelet.  You will receive refunds more efficiently and sooner. 

Payment to the Other (Host) School  The student is responsible for making payments to the host institution.  If UNI financial aid credits after the host school bill is due, discuss the issue with the host school to see if they are willing to give an “extension”.