Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Financial Aid Academic Progress

The UNI Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships requires students to continue to make academic progress toward a degree in order to continue receiving financial aid. There are standards for academic progress for each academic year, as well as standards for completing a degree within a specific time period.

Standards of Academic Progress

Academic Progress Appeal (PDF)

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Tips & Additional Information


Repeated Coursework & Financial Aid Implications

Federal regulation limits the number of times a student may repeat a course and receive financial aid for that course.  This policy applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.

  • A student may receive aid when repeating a course that was previously failed regardless of the number of times the course was attempted and failed.

  • A student may receive aid to repeat a previously passed course only one additional time.

  • This policy applies whether or not the student received aid for earlier enrollments in the course.


Academic Assistance Available

If you are in need of academic assistance please contact the following offices at UNI:

  • Academic Advising (319-273-3406): This office of professional staff can provide assistance to any student who is considering a change in major or needs assistance in selecting a major. 

  • Faculty/Staff Advisors: Faculty and staff within your major are excellent resources for students planning to stay within their major. 

  • Peer Advisors in Residence (PAIR): If living in the residence halls, PAIR's are able to provide assistance with a variety of topics to help you succeed. 

  • Academic Learning Center (319-273-6023) houses 6 services for student success: Student Support Services; Academic Achievement & Retention; Examination Services; Math & Science Services tutors; Reading and Learning Center academic coaches; and Writing Center writing coaches. The ALC serves all students and majors.

  • UNI Counseling Center (319-273-2676) or UNI Health Clinic (319-273-2009): If personal issues have hindered your academic performance you may want to contact these offices