down arrowMenu

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Application Process

Do you have questions or concerns about applying for financial aid at UNI? Follow these 5 tips to assist you in the process.

Applying for UNI Financial Aid (School Code: 001890)

1.  Complete the FAFSA after January 1

     • Information regarding the FAFSA

Complete and file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or file on the Web at as soon as possible after January 1.

You and your parents (if a dependent student) will need a 4 digit PIN#.

If you have never completed a FAFSA, forgotten/lost your PIN, or need to re-establish your PIN. CLICK HERE

On the FAFSA you will provide income information from the most recent year's tax return, and information regarding assets, family size, and the number of family members in college. The FAFSA is submitted to a processing center where the information provided is analyzed according to the federal government regulations and an “Expected Family Contribution” is determined.

List the University of Northern Iowa School Code: 001890 on the release section of the FAFSA.

Double check all items to be sure they are complete and accurate. Make photocopies for your records.

Remember financial aid is not renewable. You must reapply for aid each year by filling out the FAFSA or renewal FAFSA.

      • Forgot Your PIN?

2. Review your Student Aid Report (SAR)

Approximately three to six weeks after sending the FAFSA to the processing center or completing online, you will receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) which provides the results of the FAFSA. Check all items to ensure they are correct and report any changes or corrections to the UNI Financial Aid Office immediately. You do not need to send the SAR to the university except when specifically requested by UNI.

     • What is EFC?

The “Expected Family Contribution” (EFC) is the theoretical amount your family is expected to contribute toward the cost of your college education. Your EFC remains constant regardless of the college you attend. The difference between the EFC and your total college budget is your financial need. Financial need is used to determine which types of aid a student receives.

3. Check for Information Needed by Financial Aid

Approximately four weeks after you have completed the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), we encourage students to check MyUNIverse to see if there exists a link for "Information Needed By UNI Financial Aid." This link would appear under the My Personal Records section. Please check this site periodically to see if the Financial Aid Office is requesting documents from you or if there is an issue that needs to be resolved in order to complete your financial aid packaging.

     • Verification

• If selected for verification we will need SIGNED Federal tax forms, schedules, and W2’s.

• Dependent students must provide this information for both themselves and their parents.

• Independent students must provide this information for themselves (and spouse, if applicable).

Dependent Verification forms can be accessed from the Information Needed By UNI Financial Aid link on MyUNIverse or by contacting the UNI Financial Aid Office.

Independent Verification Forms can now be completed online by visiting the Information Needed By UNI Financial Aid link on MyUNIverse. Independent verification forms are also available at the UNI Financial Aid Office.

4. Review your UNI Award Notification

All students may review their financial aid award notification online at MyUNIverse. Any student wishing to reduce or decline their aid may do so at MyUNIverse or by contacting the Office of Student Financial Aid.

5. Inform the Office of Student Financial Aid of other aid that you will be receiving. (i.e. scholarships)

Students must report if they receive any scholarships from outside sources to the UNI Financial Aid Office, this can be done at the bottom of the award notification. Scholarship checks should be sent to the UNI Financial Aid Office so they may be credited to your university account.

*It is very important to keep your UNI e-mail address current and check it regularly.  The UNI Financial Aid Office requests information by sending email notices directing students to visit MyUNIverse.  Many other offices and departments on campus also utilize UNI email to contact students.