Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Consortium Agreements

Consortium Agreements are an option for students that are considering taking courses at another institution but still intend to graduate from UNI. It allows for students to qualify for financial aid based on enrollment from more than one institution of higher education. In order to see if you are eligible to complete a consortium agreement, please meet with staff in the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

The purpose of a consortium agreement is to ensure disbursement of the proper amount of financial aid from the "home" institution. The home institution is the school from which you expect to receive your degree.

To qualify in the Fall or Spring:

  • Have equal or more enrolled credits at UNI
  • Have not completed a fall/spring consortium, yet
  • Have a completed FAFSA and qualify for financial aid
  • Be enrolled at least half-time (6 hours for undergraduate or 5 hours for graduate students) between the two schools (excluding correspondence coursework)
  • Meet with a staff member in the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

To qualify in the Summer:

  • Be enrolled at another postsecondary institution
  • Have a completed FAFSA for the prior aid year
  • Qualify for financial aid
  • Meet with a staff member in the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Important Note: Students may only complete one consortium as an undergraduate student during the Fall/Spring semesters. Summer consortiums may be completed as necessary.


  • After meeting with a staff member in the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, the UNI Registrar's Office will enroll you in "Consortium Exchange" for the number of credit hours you are enrolled in at the host institution. You will need to have all holds removed on your account before you can be registered for "Consortium Exchange." Do NOT drop the "Consortium Exchange" course.
  • You receive your financial aid in the form of a refund after it has credited to your U-Bill.
  • Use your refund or other financial means to pay for your courses at the host institution. You will be responsible for paying all program fees at the host institution. UNI does not make payment directly to the host institution.
  • At the end of the term, have your transcripts sent to the UNI Office of Admissions. It is your responsibility to provide an official transcript. Transcripts can be sent to 002 Gilchrist Hall, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0018.