Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

National Student Exchange

Financial Aid Tips 

  • Submit your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) early in the spring prior to the academic year you will enroll in National Student Exchange.  UNI will award you financial aid for your National

Student Exchange, therefore list the UNI school code (001890) on the appropriate section of the FAFSA.

  • Financial aid (loans, scholarships, and/or grants) will credit to your account on the first billing cycle of the term.  Refunds will be directly deposited into your back account (see Office of Business Operations Tips below).
  • If you are borrowing a Direct Loan for the first time, you must complete a Master Promissory Note and Loan Entrance Interview form.  Without these forms processed, your loan(s) will not credit your E-Bill.

 *You must also accept your loans electronically on your Award Notification.

  • If you need assistance with program costs incurred prior to the disbursement of funds, please schedule an appointment with a staff member in the office.  As an example, you may owe room and board costs or a deposit to your host school before your UNI aid credits your account and creates a refund check.  It is very important for you to meet the deadlines of your host school.
  • The Office of Student Financial Aid makes every effort to assist you in financing your National Student Exchange Program.  However, should unforeseen problems arise which cannot be resolved prior to the end of the term or year, you are ultimately responsible for paying the expenses incurred during the program.

 Office of Business Operations Tips (103 Gilchrist) 

  •  To make arrangements for UNI to directly deposit refunds please register via MyUNIverse, under the Finances tab within the “Direct Deposit Sign-up” box.                            
  • You can view your UNI u-bill on MyUNIverse under the Finances tab.

 Registrar’s Office Tips (115 Gilchrist)

  • For the semester you are enrolled in National Student Exchange, update the Registrar’s address system using your address at the host school as your local address.  During academic periods UNI information will be sent to this address.  
  • If you prefer, UNI mail could be sent to your home address by leaving local address blank.  
  • To change address information, visit the Registrar’s Office or MyUNIverse under the MyPage tab. There will be a box entitled “Update My Personal Information.”  
  • Verify registration through the Week-at-a-Glance link on MyUNIverse.  Funding is only disbursed when appropriate enrollment is on the UNI system