Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Scholarship FAQ's

Are scholarships renewable?

Renewal of University scholarships may require maintaining any or all of the following: minimum grade point average, financial need, major, Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), and/or annual completion and submission of the UNI Scholarship Application. Refer to your scholarship offer letter for specific renewal criteria. 

What is a hometown (off-campus) scholarship?

Scholarships that are awarded from the local community, organizations, or other private sources are considered hometown scholarships. Students receiving scholarships from outside sources must report these scholarships by logging in to MyUNIverse, going to the Student Center, and clicking on "Report Other Financial Aid."

Why do I need to report hometown scholarships?

Federal regulations require all scholarship(s) be included in your financial aid package. Scholarships may reduce or replace a portion of your financial aid award. Loans are the first item to be adjusted on your financial aid award.

If I receive a hometown scholarship, what do I do?

  • Report hometown scholarships by logging in to MyUNIverse, going to the Student Center, and clicking on "Report Other Financial Aid."

  • Scholarship checks are usually made out to you and to UNI. All scholarship check(s), co-payable or not, should be turned in to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships, 105 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0024. When submitting scholarship checks to UNI, please endorse the check and include your student ID number.  

  • Scholarship amounts will be split evenly between semesters unless otherwise noted by the donor.

  • Submitting scholarship checks to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships by July 31 allows you to receive credit for your scholarship on the first fall university bill. For crediting of scholarships to the first spring semester bill, the checks should be received by December 15.

My hometown scholarship donor needs my billing history. How do I get it?

The University of Northern Iowa does not bill donors. If the donor of your scholarship requires notification of billing, you can go to MyUNIverse and print your billing history. Navigate to your Student Center by logging in to MyUNIverse and going to the Student Center. Within the Finances section on the Student Center, you will find a dropdown menu that will include Account Activity.

My hometown scholarship donor needs proof that I am enrolled. How do I get it?

Please review this PDF document for instructions on accessing enrollment verification: Student Enrollment Verification.

You may also go to MyUNIverse and print your class schedule, if acceptable to the scholarship donor. Navigate to your Student Center by logging in to MyUNIverse and going to the Student Center. Within the Academics section, click on "My Academics" to view your class schedule.

If neither of these options work, please contact the Office of the Registrar at (319) 273-2241. 

What procedures are suggested for hometown scholarship donors?

  • Make the check payable to the University of Northern Iowa. Include the student's name and UNI ID number on the memo line or with the accompanying letter.

  • If you'd like, you may click here for a donor form you may complete to accompany your scholarship check.

  • Consider your canceled check your receipt. If you or your organization needs verification of this credit to the student's account, you should ask the student to send you a copy of their billing history.

  • For scholarships to credit to the student's first bill for the fall semester, the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships should receive checks by July 31. For the spring semester, the checks should be received by December 15.

Why doesn't my scholarship show up on my university bill (U-Bill)?

  • Scholarships post to your bill after the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships receives the check. Unless otherwise specified by the donor, scholarships credit to your account in two parts: half applies to the fall semester and half applies to the spring semester.

  • Scholarships automatically credit your account when you're enrolled full time (12 hours for undergraduates or 9 hours for graduate students).

  • Make sure you have fulfilled all the requirements asked by your donor when you received the scholarship.

  • While waiting for your scholarship to credit your account, you are responsible for paying the balance due using other sources.

Should I thank my scholarship donor?

Absolutely! As soon as you receive notice of your scholarship award, you should write a thank-you note to your scholarship donor.

What happens to my scholarship if I withdraw from UNI?

  • If you withdraw from classes, the unused funds are returned to the donor. You will need to inform the donor of your future plans.

  • If the scholarship is a UNI Foundation award, the department administering the award will review scholarship guidelines. Depending on donor specific guidelines, the award may be removed.

Donors with established UNI Foundation accounts

  • Can be certain the gift will be maximized and administered using guidelines established on Statement of Gift Intent (SOGI) and/or Memorandum of Understanding (MOU)

  • Will not be required to follow up with a student recipient in regards to their enrollment or billing status with the university

How do I setup a scholarship fund/account with UNI?

Please contact:
University of Northern Iowa Foundation
204 Commons
Cedar Falls, IA 50614-0282
Telephone: 319-273-6078 or 800-782-9522
Fax: 319-273-3465