Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Summer 2022 Financial Aid Information

Receiving summer financial aid has never been easier! To be eligible for summer aid, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Have a valid 2021-22 FAFSA on file with UNI by June 30, 2022. Complete your FAFSA online at

  • Be enrolled at least half-time. Half-time in the summer for an undergraduate is 6 credit hours; half-time for a graduate is 5 credit hours. Audited courses and Guided Independent Study (GIS) are not eligible for financial aid and do not count towards enrollment.

  • Be admitted to a program leading to a degree. Non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid. If you are pursuing a degree but not yet classified, please contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

  • Meet Financial Aid Academic Progress and be in good academic standing with the university. Please visit our website for more information on Satisfactory Academic Progress.

  • Be in good financial standing with your loan servicer. For issues with default or delinquency, please contact your federal loan servicer.

NOTE: Your summer financial aid offer will reflect all financial aid available based on your initial summer enrollment. If you change your enrollment, contact the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships.

Types of Financial Aid

Federal Pell Grant 

The Federal Pell Grant may be offered to undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree. Pell Grant eligibility and amount depends on several factors, including how many credits you're enrolled in, your EFC from the FAFSA, and your Pell Grant Lifetime Eligibility Used (LEU).

  • Lifetime Eligibility Limit: Check your remaining Pell Grant eligibility by logging in to your account. 

  • Credit Hour Requirements for Summer Pell Grant:

    • If you were enrolled full-time and received the full Pell Grant amount during the Fall and Spring semesters, you must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits) in the summer to be eligible for Summer Pell Grant. 

    • If you were enrolled less than full-time for Fall or Spring, you may be eligible for Summer Pell Grant at less than half-time enrollment.

    • Please note: Summer Pell Grant eligibility is also dependent on your EFC, lifetime eligibility limits, and the number of summer credits you're enrolled in.  

  • Please contact our office for more information on Summer Pell Grant eligibility. 

TEACH Grant 

The TEACH Grant is available during the summer for qualifying students (for more information, please review this flyer: TEACH Grant PDF). The amount is prorated based on enrollment:

  • Full-time: $1,886

  • Three-quarter time: $1,414

  • Half-time: $943

  • Less than half-time: $472


Scholarships are not offered by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships during the summer, but may be offered by your department or outside agencies.


  • Federal Direct Loan: The amount you may borrow each year is limited. You are not eligible for summer loans if you have already borrowed the annual maximum (see table below). A valid MPN and Entrance Counseling is required for any federal loan to disburse. Your MPN and Entrance Counseling can be completed on the website.

Maximum Annual Combined Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loan Limits
Grade Level Dependent Independent
Freshman $5,500 $9,500
Sophomore $6,500 $10,500
Junior & Senior $7,500 $12,500
Graduate N/A $20,500
  • Graduate PLUS Loan: If you wish to borrow a Graduate PLUS Loan, you must complete a Graduate PLUS application and MPN online at

  • Parent PLUS Loan: If your parent wishes to borrow a PLUS Loan, they must complete the Parent PLUS Loan application and the MPN online at Parent's must log in with their own FSA ID.

  • Private Education Loan: These loans are through a bank or credit union, and are based on credit; a co-signer may be required. Private Loan Counseling is required for every loan disbursement and must be completed with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. For more information, please see our Private Education Loan website.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)