Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

Work Study

Work-Study Policies

Qualifying for Work-Study

Work-study is a need-based award which is packaged along with grants, scholarships and loans.  To be considered for work-study students need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) indicating interest in work-study each year. 

Limited funding is available for work-study.  Because of limited work-study funding and financial aid eligibility requirements, not all students who request work study will receive work-study.  Only about 20% of the earnings of UNI student employees comes from work-study; the remaining 80% comes from the department accounts where students work.  If you haven't been awarded work-study there are still thousands of employment opportunities available for you on-campus at UNI.  Students without work study can:

  • Look for departmental positions posted on the job board at: Career Services
  • Inquire within the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships to learn more about Community Service Learning (CSL) positions.  This federal program requires that a student file for financial aid and have financial need.  Non-profit agencies partner with UNI to participate in the Community Service Learning (CSL) program. 
  • Inquire within the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships about the America Reads (Panther Paws) program.  This federal program requires that a student file for financial aid and have financial need to tutor in a local elementary school.

Degree-Seeking and Enrollment at UNI Fall/Spring:

Students employed as Work-Study employees must be admitted in an undergraduate or graduate degree program and enrolled for a minimum of 6 undergraduate hours or 5 graduate hours per academic semester. Students may not work beyond the last day of the term if they are no longer enrolled as a degree-seeking student, regardless of the current time sheet cutoff.

Summer: Work-Study is not offered during the summer session.  Students may be able to work as departmental student employees during the summer.  Please visit Career Services for more details. 

Number of Work-Study Jobs Allowed

Students may only have ONE Work-Study job at a time. However, students may have both a Work-Study and a Departmental job as long as they do not work over a total of 20 hours per week while school is in session (40 hours per week while school is not in session).

Earning Total Work-Study Award

Work-Study student employees may earn their entire Work-Study award during fall and spring semesters. Typically, awards are made in equal amounts for both fall and spring semesters. If a student earns over their awarded amount for fall, funds can be used from the spring award, provided the student will also be enrolled in spring courses. Once the total Work-Study award is earned, the student must be paid by departmental funds or end employment.

Work-Study Employment Start and End Dates

Work-Study employment can not begin prior to the first day of the fall semester and must end on the last day of the spring semester.